Unless someone lives under a rock and doesn’t have the slightest idea about what’s going on in the Android world, chances are… he/she knows about Google Assistant. Google plans to go all out in it’s development.
Google assistant is an android app that is designed to help people in every step of their lives. Well, that’s IF one knows how to use Google Assistant in 2018 and beyond. This is where Androidista comes in. This little article will explain every tip and trick in the book for you.
Hopefully by the end of this article, you’ll be able to make the best use of the ever so helping assistant by Google and know all about what can Google Assistant do for you.
First Thing’s First: Install and Get Started with Google Assistant the Right Way!
Sure, it can achieve some pretty amazing feats. But Google assistant is not that hard to get around if you guys are worried. People running android Marshmallow on devices should already get this update. All you need to do is to say the two magic words, “Okay Google.” The app will start immediately. If you don’t have the app, do the following to set it up.
- Press and hold the “Home” button on your phone to start Google Assistant App for the first time.
- You’ll be greeted with a screen saying “Meet Your Google Assistant” as seen in the image.
- The next step is to press “Continue.”
- The app will ask for some of the information about your phone. Tap “Yes, I’m in.” and allow it to access the information.
- You’ll need to let the app recognize the mannerisms of your speech pattern. For that, simply tap, “Get Started.”
How To Tweak The App To Suit You Better?
Now that we’ve covered how to install google assistant on your android phone, let’s go over some of the basic and advanced level of tweaks. These will allow users to draw out the full potential of this app.
Choosing the Right Account to Pair With
Okay, if you have just the one email account you’re using with the Smartphone, select the primary account. For multiple email account users, selecting one they will use with assistant is essential. For that, you need to start the Google Assistant app. The next thing to do is to tap the three dots at the upper right corner of your screens.
Then, select the email account you will use and you are done.
Getting into “Settings” Menu to Set Up Various Things
Configuring this app is easy as pie. Tap the same “Three Dots” to access the menu like you did on the previous occasion. There, you’ll find “Settings.” It’s the place where people customize the way they want to see the news, the option to customize “Home” screen, and planning the day, and… your bucket list for window shopping.
- Setting up which news sources you want to see is as easy as baking a cake (for some people). Just tap “Settings” and then “News.” There you can pick and choose from various sources. Feel free to drag and reorder them.
- From the same menu, you’ll find option to set your day. From there, organize details of daily meals, appointments, commuter routes, meetings, and others. Accessing it is easy too! Just say, “Tell me about my day,” to Google assistant and that’s it!
Take a look at the pictures below to get visual cues as to how to go about the process when working with your android phone.
Google Assistant Tips and Tricks That Help Users on A Daily Basis
Let’s start with some basic tips and tricks for this app that will help people in the day-to-day quest known as life. In the latter segments I’ll dive more into the “Advanced” realm of things.
If you’re thinking that you need to recite some mechanical commands to get things done, you’re wrong. We don’t need those with Google Assistant. Simple, day-to-day linguistics will do. In fact, basic conversations will do the job.
For example, if you want to open google chrome browser in your phone, just say say, “Okay, Google. Open Google Chrome.”
See? It’s very easy. Now that we’ve got that covered, let me tell you a few of the cool voice tricks that you can pull off using this android app.
Use It for Your Convenience
This little app can answer your queries well when you’re looking for the meaning of words. Need answers to your random questions? Sure! Just say, “Okay Google.” and ask away!
This virtual assistant is built for our entertainment as well. One can instruct this app to play songs of particular artists if he/she chooses to.
Also, one can get weather information from this app as well. I did mention that you’ll be able to set schedules and as Google Assistant about your day first thing in the morning, didn’t I?
People can even track an event by setting up a reminder, set alarms, and timers throughout the day.
This nifty piece of android app can make important calls for you. Google assistant can even read through and reply to certain messages as well.
This is particularly for the people who use plain texting rather than using WhatsApp or Messenger for the job.
Want to see “Unread Messages?”
Just say, “Show me my messages,” and this app will show you any unread texts you may have. Saying, “Do I have any messages?” shows you both read and unread texts.
Make the House Smarter With Google Assistant!
Don’t think for a second that this app is confined to your Google Pixel 3 or any other android smartphone. It’s not! Makers broke the barrier between virtual and real life with a few lines of code. For example: If you have a convenient thermostat machine to pair up with this app, do it first.
Then, tell the app that you want the temperature to be at 35 degrees Celsius for an example. Sit back and enjoy! The app will take over and change the temperature to your liking. It’s capable enough to run your music instruments, ACs, and fans from a distance. Yes, it can substitute a remote to certain degree.
Using Google Lens to Good Effect!
I take it that many of us have heard about Google Lens. For people who don’t know, it dropped back in 2017. This is a facility previously exclusive to Google Pixel Smartphones as well. Now, you can use this in tandem with… you guessed it! Google Assistant! That too with other android-dependent phones.
Just point your camera to an object. The lens icon at the bottom right corner of your phone will show you added information about the object.
For example, if you show a poster or a CD of a singer, Google Lens and Assistant will show you prominent and famous tracks of that artist. Cool ain’t it? I bet it it is!
Pull Off Advanced Tricks!
Here’s a list of things you can use this app for:
- Did you know that Google Assistant Settings allow you to translate foreign languages into English?
- One nifty trick of this app is to give you important flight details when you’re traveling.
- Keep track of your favorite sports by checking on the score sheet whenever you want.
- This android app can show relevant information when people push the “Home” button based on what’s on screen or what they are reading at that time.
- It keeps tabs on your grocery list by adding items that you want to buy.
- Did I mention that this thing helps you in your quest of taking selfies? Well, now you know!
- Remember, I mentioned about booking appointments? This app calls barbershops, doctors, and important offices on your behalf to book them.
- Installing Google Assistant fixes your “Memory” problem. One can instruct this thing to remember certain dates, important passwords, the place where he/she put the hair straightners, and much more!
What I Think of the App
The assistant is pretty helpful if you ask me. It’s my PA, a friend, and a voice to talk to when I’m bored. I simply ask it “What can you do?” from time to time and it explains.
If you use it well enough, Google Assistant can read you stories, poems, play music for you, get things done, control features of a Smart Home, play videos for you, teach you stuff, and do a lot more!
Please let me know in the comments what you’re up to with this all-rounder of an Android Application.
Leave a Reply