I keep the VPN connected to add an extra layer of protection to my Android security. However, it doesn’t mean I want the app icon always flaunting on the status bar.
Judge me if you wish. But the crowded status bar really triggers my OCD.
Luckily, I got not 1 but 2 handy tips on how to remove the app icon from the status bar on Android. Disabling the app notification directly from its settings is the most convenient way. If your OS system does not allow hiding the icons this way, install a UI Turner to get the work done.
What’s the best part? You can pull these tricks off without rooting the phone. Let’s get into more details. Shall we?
Hiding VPN Icon Without Interrupting The Connection: The Easy Methods
It is no rocket science (obviously!). With a few clicks, you can get rid of the VPN icon from the status bar altogether. Follow the below-mentioned steps, and you will be done.
- Open the phone setting.
- Access status notification.
- Disable notification for VPN.
Yes, that will do the job.
My phone does not allow me to disable the app icon directly from the bar notification. So, I turned off the icon from the app settings. I am mentioning the steps just for your convenience:
- Go to your VPN app.
- Open settings.
- Toggle off the app notification.
Remove The App Icon From The Status Bar Like A Pro
Sorry to inform you, but your android might not allow hiding the app icon at all. Do not lose hope. I have a workaround for this issue, too. The process may sound boring but bear with me.
- Download a system UI tuner on your android first. The free versions are well available on the Play Store.
- ADB commands are required to make the UI tuner work and enable some hidden features of your OS system. There is no way you can grant the ADB permissions from your phone. So, you better install ADB on your laptop or PC.
- Once installed, connect your device to the laptop and locate the “platform tools” folder on the ADB directory.
- Use CTRL+C to copy the full location of the platform tool folder.
- Next, open the command window and type cd first. Then, hit CTRL+V to paste the location path.
- Press enter (no, not there yet).
- Copy and paste this command on the window screen: “adb shell pm grant com.zacharee1.systemuituner android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS”.
- Hit enter.
- The work on the PC is done, and you are free to disconnect the phone now.
- Open the UI tuner app on your android and review the initial setup options.
- A flash message will show on your screen asking for permission. Just tap Yes.
- It will take you to the main menu. From there, you have to select “To The Tweaks”.
- Yes, you are almost there. Just head to settings and disable the VPN icon from the status bar notification.
- Connect your device to the private network and see the magic yourself.
How To Unhide The VPN Icon From The Status Bar?
If you have a change of mind afterward, you can always revive the icon. Open the settings and go to the main menu status bar. From there, locate the VPN toggle and enable it. Easy peasy!
However, if you have chosen the software path, you must turn off the UI tuner first. Uninstalling the app will bring back the icon from thin air.
A crowded status bar is the last thing I want on my phone. Disabling the VPN notification from the app settings helped me hide the icon. You should try your luck by toggling off the app icon from the main menu first. If both the tricks fail, fold your sleeves and blindly follow the software method I’ve written. I mean anything for a clean status bar. No?